09 March 2011

Watch: "Modern Times"

And now for something truly vintage... 

It should come as no surprise that I'm a fan of silent films, especially those with Charlie Chaplin. One of my favorites is "Modern Times" (1936). Yes, I know this film is old - ancient, even - but I still think it's hilarious.

The best parts of this film:
1) Charlie Chaplin's facial expressions and body movements. It's amazing how much emotion an actor can convey without saying a single word.
2) The feeding machine scene - pure comedy gold. Watch it here.
3) Paulette Goddard (the Gamine) was absolutely gorgeous. What a classic beauty. :)

[Summary (from Wikipedia): Modern Times is a 1936 comedy film by Charlie Chaplin that has his iconic Little Tramp character struggling to survive in the modern, industrialized world. The film is a comment on the desperate employment and fiscal conditions many people faced during the Great Depression, conditions created, in Chaplin's view, by the efficiencies of modern industrialization.]
[all images from Google]

I think it's amazing how such an old film can still reflect our lives today. I wonder how many people often feel like they have nervous breakdowns because of our economy.

What I could relate to was the message about finding one's self in the modern world. I absolutely refuse to ever buy a Kindle or a Nook or any other kind of e-reader. So let's discuss: What aspects of "modern" life are you not such big fans of?

3 comments:

  1. If it's Chaplin then for me it's "City lights".

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute blog girl! :)
    would be lovely if you visit also mine www.newyorkfashion-sh.blogspot.com

    merci!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I never thought I'd see anyone from this era who genuinely loves Chaplin. I love him so, too. And I love your blog and how you appreciate and not mess with the word vintage. Cheers to that, lovedoll.

    Afianne
    www.vivalamanika.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...