20 June 2011

Putting Things Into Perspective

[image source: unknown]

I don't know exactly where this image came from. All I remember is that one of my friends on Facebook posted this a while ago and it inspired me so much that I saved it. It sure helps to put our lives into perspective doesn't it?

I'm thinking about my day-to-day life and I am just now realizing how much I complain on a daily basis. And you know what? They're pretty silly complaints in the grand scheme of things.

Examples:
Me: "I'm starving! There's no food in the fridge and I am way too lazy to go to the store!"
But I'm not literally starving, am I? In fact, I've never had to worry about where my next meal is going to come from.

Me: (looking through my closet, trying to figure out what to wear) "Ugh, I have no clothes!"
The truth is, I have tons of clothes. So much that I often have to get rid of some items to make room for new ones. And don't even get me started on my shoe collection!

Me: (looking into the mirror and seeing that my hair still isn't growing fast enough and I still have PICC line scars on my arms) "This SUCKS. What could possibly be worse than this?"
Oh, I could think of several things that would be worse. I'm just happy that I'm healthy now.

The lesson? No, we shouldn't feel guilty about living relatively privileged lives. Life is too short to not enjoy. Whether you are a foodie who enjoys eating delicious gourmet meals or a fashion/personal style blogger who's obsessed with clothes, there is no reason to feel bad about doing what you love. The only time we should feel guilty is when we lose perspective and forget just how lucky we are...

...especially when so many others are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...