[all images from we♥it]
1) Enjoy a pitcher of fresh lemonade. Or if you prefer, try a refreshing fruit smoothie or homemade sangria. Whichever beverage you choose, be sure to invite a few friends over to share drinks on your porch. What could be better on a hot summer day than fresh lemonade and good company?
2) Sleep with the window open. You can save on energy costs while being able to enjoy the cool night breeze. For added sleepy time ambiance, you can also enjoy the sounds of crickets chirping before you drift off to sleep.
3) Spend a day at the beach. Or better yet, extend the seaside festivities by having a bonfire with all your friends. Just be sure to bring a sweatshirt or a blanket for when the temperature drops. It's also nice to have a friend who plays the guitar while you and your significant other cuddle by the fire. :)
4) Enjoy the county fair or carnival. County fairs somehow always encourage feelings of nostalgia. Perhaps you remember your parents taking you to see an outdoor concert or taking pictures as you go on a pony ride. Maybe your favorite memories are marching in a parade with your cheerleading squad in 8th grade or your marching band in high school. Whatever your favorite memories are, you'll be sure to enjoy the county fair, no matter how old you are. From all the different vendors and their booths to the wide variety of deep fried treats you can sample, you'll be sure to create many more memories this summer.
5) Have lunch or dinner al fresco. Why not take advantage of the gorgeous sunshine-y days or the cool summer nights? There's just something magical about eating a nice meal outside, especially if you're lucky enough to live in a beach town. (I live only about 20 minutes away from the beach, so yay me!)
6) Watch fireworks. The 4th of July is less than two weeks away, and you can bet that I'm super excited about backyard barbeques and fireworks. (It'll also be my grandma's birthday!) I have the option of watching fireworks either at my old high school or at Downtown Disney in Anaheim. If you live in a city that allows sparklers and ground fireworks, why not take advantage of that and have some (safe) fun?
7) Toast marshmallows. Mmmm...s'mores! Whether you're at a beach bonfire or you're camping in Yosemite, there are very few things that are more amazing than toasted, slightly burnt marshmallows. My favorite marshmallow toasting memory was the summer after I graduated from high school. My color guard teammates (most of whom were incoming seniors) all had a small get-together at one of our houses and toasted marshmallows with an outdoor fire pit. One of my teammates accidentally set her entire marshmallow on fire. :D Good times...
8) Create a summer scrapbook. It doesn't matter if you travel this summer or if you do most of your traveling in your daydreams. You'll be sure to make tons of amazing memories as long as you spend time with your loved ones. Be sure to take tons of pictures so you can document your adventures in a scrapbook or photo album. (Think beyond just making an album on Facebook!) Add ticket stubs from movie theatres or baseball games, and even receipts from your favorite meals for a truly personal touch. At the end of the summer, you'll have a keepsake that you'll enjoy looking at for years to come.
9) Go outside and read a book. It sounds simple, but I think it shows that you can have a rewarding summer even if you have some alone time. On a warm, breezy day, spread a blanket under a shady tree and just relax as you get lost in your book. My favorite book for summer reading is The Time Traveler's Wife.
10) Grab a jar and catch fireflies. Sadly, I have never had this experience. In fact, I've never even seen a real live firefly. Instead, I spent many of my childhood summers catching crickets or lady bugs. (Don't worry, I always set them free soon afterwards!) Summer is all about nostalgia, after all. Why not take this time to relive your favorite childhood memories?
So there you go, 10 Ways to Beat Summer Boredom. I hope you all enjoyed my list of fun activities. Now I'd like to know what all of you do to have fun when the days get longer. Feel free to share and enjoy your summer! ♥